[Grml] Re: Keyboard does not work in 1.0

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Wed Jun 20 10:09:28 CEST 2007

Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> wrote:

> * Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> [20070620 01:15]:
>
>> I burned grml 1.0 to a CD and booted my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2010
>> notebook (a 32bit system) with it. When boot was finished, I was not
>> able to type anything at all. Not even Alt+F1... worked - not even
>> ctrl+alt+del worked!
>
>> In isolinux, ie. at the "boot prompt", keyboard still works.
>
>> I booted grml also without "modifying" anything with the help of the
>> isolinux prompt. Ie. just defaults.
>
>> With the help of the mouse, I selected "x" at the menu presented when
>> grml finished booting. I started fvwm-crystal. Even in X, keyboard does
>> not work.
>
>> Keyboard worked just fine in previous releases of grml. It worked for
>> sure in 0.8. Keyboard also works just fine right now; I'm typing this
>> message on the same computer (booted into Mandriva).
>
> What type of keyboard is it?

It's a notebook and it's the builtin keyboard. No clue if it's USB
or PS2 connected internally.

> PS/2? If so: do you have the chance to
> test an external USB keyboard?

I don't have an external USB keyboard. Hmm... Maybe I do. Got to
do some digging in the cellar :)

> And please boot with 'grml ssh=yoursecretpassword' and login from
> another box (ssh grml@$GRMLSYSTEM) and check out what's inside dmesg
> output regarding keyboard/PS/2/USB.

I'll try that.

> I do know this problem only from 64bit systems, never explored that
> on a 32bit system. Which kernel version are you using with Mandriva?

On Mandriva, I think they are at 2.6.17. On Gentoo, I'm at 2.6.21.
I also use Gentoo on that notebook.

Alexander Skwar