[Grml] Re: Booting with grub on usb-flash-pen

- Tong - mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 15:31:43 CEST 2007

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:46:02 +0200, Morten Christensen wrote:

> can I get this grub to boot from an iso-file
> like grml1.0 or even Knoppix or BartPE on the flash-pen ?

Using grml1.0 to boot from grml1.0's iso is easy, just use the bootfrom
cheat code, or check this out:

boot grml_iso from HD
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/grml/grml04-Boot/ar01s02.html

Grub on USB Stick
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/grml/grml04-Boot/ar01s05.html

To locate the booting USB is more difficult than HD, so you might want to
check out grml's booting with UUID option:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/grml/grml14-ReleaseRelatedIssues/index.html#_Wishlist_automount_by_names

To use grub or grml as a general purpose iso-file boot loader, I doubt
that it is possible, but I'm ready to listen.

FYI, you might also find the following urls helpful.

A GRUB Tutorial
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/boot/boot06-Grub/ar01s06.html

Pen Drives under Linux
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/pen/