[Grml] Re: Debian Etch and grml

Marc Haber mh+grml at zugschlus.de
Sat Jan 6 10:33:25 CET 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 06:34:12PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> I look at things like grml as terrific features on top of Debian and
> free software.  grml's on the frontlines in the war on bugs.  They're
> just a little bit more careful than Sid people about when they stick
> their heads up.  They're also confident that even "unstable"
> Debian/Linux/FS is way usable, and can perform some pretty awesome
> tricks.  I think that's pretty cool.

We have never claimed that sid is ready to be used by end-users. sid
is a development platform and might be dangerous. We expect people
running sid to be able to fix major issues that might be present
themselves, there is no support. There are times (usually shortly
after a release) where even I don't dare updating my sid systems.

I mainly still see grml as a live CD that is a _very_ good tool during
system analysis, debugging, recovery and installation. I doubt,
however, that such systems are a good solution to install on a hard
disk and actually use.

Greetings
Marc