[Grml] Grub on USB Stick

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Feb 23 21:18:35 CET 2007

* Patrick <patritsch at gmx.ch> [20070223 17:15]:

> I'm trying to boot from my USB-Stick. I have an CF-USB adapter 512MB and
> a 4GB Stick. Both have the same problem. After an grml2usb my
> Genode-System won't boot. So I mad it with Grub.

What does "won't boot" mean? Your box(es) can't boot using
isolinux/syslinux but grub works?

> My /boot/grub/menue.lst:

> title   Grml minirt
> root    (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/vmlinu root=/dev/sda1 ro acpi=off ramdisk_size=100000
> init=/etc/init lang=us usb apm=power-off vga=791 nomce BOOT_IMAGE=grml
> initrd  /boot/minirt.img
> boot

syslinux (used at grml2usb) is using the following kernel
commandline as default:

  ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us usb apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt26.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=grml

> I had to make an initrd.img and I made it like wirtten in the wiki:

> #update-initramfs -u -t -k $(uname -r)

> I got:

> Could not stat the resume device file....
> /scripts/init-bottom  |no such file or directory
> /root/sys	|no such file or directory
> /proc		|no such file or directory

This looks like output of an initramfs/initrd created by
initramfs-tools.

> so I tried it again with the original minirt26.gz. after a
> #gzip -d minirt26.gz and renamed as minirt26.img i can boot with grub
> but I got now only:

> Could not stat the resume device file....
> /scripts/local-bottom |done
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom...
> mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev faild: No such file or
> directory

Same here. That's not grml's minirt26.gz but initramfs-tools.

Try dropping the 'root (hd0,0)' line and the root=/dev/sda1
kernel-option of the 'Grml minitrd' section in your menu.lst, AFAICS
your system tries to boot from /dev/sda1 currently. :)

Please contribute: http://grml.org/user-survey/grml.txt