[Grml] virtual x windows server, possible or not?

Doug Smith bdsmith at oralux.org
Thu Feb 22 04:53:04 CET 2007

This is a really strange question, but I feel that it must be answered, either in the positive or negative in order that
I might know if I will be able to continue to compute for the forseeable future.

What is the possibility of building a kind of x windows server that is really not a window system at all? What I mean is
this:

For the past 21 years, as of August 18, 2006, I have used computers, and have done so successfully.  I have done it all
with text-only systems, on which I have been able to run any program that I have wanted to run.  Now, we have a problem,
and I mean a big one.  It is called the graphical user interface.

I do not mean to put anyone down, or show disrespect, for the ways in which other people choose to use computers.  What
I need is a way to make the programs written for the graphical user interface work on the console so that I will not
have to make that change in the future to an interface which I really do not like.

Is it possible to take those programs and make them work as I want them to, without losing anymore of their
functionality, than the graphical part? For example, a javascript-enabled browser such as mozilla or firefox should be
able to render its output as text, while still able to perform all of its functionality with the exception of that which
directly involves images.  Is this possible?

What if I want to use an office application, or some kind of video-intensive program, but I only need the messages and
other text stuff they put out?

What I am asking is this: Since the x-windows libraries, support applications, and other components are on grml, is it
possible to use these to make a kind of virtual x server that will render things on the console so that I can continue
to use speakup?

Speakup is the best speech interface I have used in all the time I have been using computers, and I like it.

If there are any takers on the list, that is, sighted people who want to work with me so that we can get this project
going, please feel free to contact me.

Most sincerely:

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)