[Grml] Pondering a mid-size grml...

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Tue Feb 13 20:13:29 CET 2007

Juergen Fiedler schrieb:
> I'm
> playing around with adding things to grml_small (being that stipping the
> big one down seems rather intimidating)

Stripping the big one down works fairly well (in my opinion better than
adding things to grml_small because you might add newer/untested
versions accidentally) and even without network connection.

Just take dpkg --get-selections, and set everything to purge which is
not listed in the grml-small-selections file. Keep the following
packages as well (since packages on grml-small are named differently for
these):

linux-image-2.6.18-grml				install
grml-policyrcd					install
locales						install
unionfs-modules-2.6.18-grml			install
unionfs-tools					install
unionfs-utils					install
policyrcd-script-zg2				install

Run apt-get dselect-upgrade and after some time you will have a smaller
system. Keep more packages to get a bigger cd image.

>From one of my scripts for a similar purpose:

export LANG=C
export LC_MESSAGES=
mv /etc/apt/sources.list{,-moved}
touch /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
dpkg --get-selections | sed s/install$/purge/ | dpkg --set-selections
dpkg --set-selections <grml-small-0.3-selections
dpkg --set-selections <my-selections
apt-get -y dselect-upgrade
apt-get -f install
apt-get dselect-upgrade