[Grml] Sendmail hostname error

][ mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 14:36:48 CET 2007

Hi,

I wasn't able to use sendmail recently. I've now track it down that the
hostname that my Sendmail uses is wrong. How can I fix it?

  % /usr/sbin/sendmail -bi
  WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
  /etc/mail/aliases: 24 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 233 bytes total

  % grep 'WHO AM I' -r /etc/mail/* || echo no found
  no found

Please help.

FYI, this is the respond that I got explaining why it is happening.

You seem to be a victim of the same broken "helpfulness" as described in
the (apparently misthreaded by google) thread at

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail/browse_frm/thread/7095fe4c3569eed1

- i.e. some install script or whatever has "configured" your sendmail
with a *host name* of literally ";; connection timed out; no servers
could be reached"! This is actually an error message from the 'dig'
command - i.e. the script probably tries to use 'dig' to get the
fully-qualified host name, and blindly accepts any output from 'dig'.
The slightly different greeting comes from the fact that sendmail
inserts the "ESMTP" there as the second word, under the reasonable
assumption that the host name is a single word...

Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sf.net/techdocs/
  http://xpt.sf.net/tools/