[Grml] system time is too slow on a grml guest inside vmware server on a grml host

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Dec 7 00:27:54 CET 2007

* Peter <p.vittali at tonhof.ch> [20071205 23:31]:

> I have problems getting the time stable on a grml 1.0 guest running
> inside a vmware virtual machine on a grml 1.0 host.

> The host is synchronized via chrony and it works.
> The guest is getting behind the host system time very rapidly (approx 10
> Mins in an hour)
> I tried various options:
>   1     with chrony and without vmware tools time sync
>   2     the inverse
>   3   some hacks include:
>       kern.hz=100 in lilo.conf

> nothing works.
> I also have a grml 1.0 running as guest inside vmware workstation (the
> commercial product tp vmware server) on a Windows 2000 host (which has
> no time sync) . Here , the guest has no time sync with the host and uses
> chrony . Everything works in this case.

Did you enable "Time synchrononization between the virtual machine
and the host operating system." inside vmware-tools?
That's tools.syncTime = "TRUE" inside the according .vmx file if you
don't have X.

Further tips from one of my personal cheatsheets:

* Booting the guest OS with clock=pit and/or acpi=off
* echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
* http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf