[Grml] Installing GRML with Speech

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Wed Dec 5 04:21:11 CET 2007

Tried to send  this once before but I don't think it  got through. Can't
help with the speech stuff - Mika probably can.

Any trouble and the manual is probably on the grml disk or see
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html for the single page
manual. It is pretty good.

Moss

= = = = =
Jerry,

I think the way to do this is make a separate 2 gb partition. If you have
already installed grml on your first hard drive "/dev/hda1" using only one
partition then the program parted or gparted can be used to resize it. You
must be root and these programs usually like to  have the disk they are
working on unmounted so you will probably have to boot the grml live cd to
a root console. (Just press enter after the boot is complete.)

Suppose you have a 200 GB disk and it is all hda1. Then do this:

parted
unit GB
resize 1 0 198
mkpartfs primary linux-swap 198 200
quit

This launches the partition editor which by default looks at /dev/hda.
Then it changes the units to GB and then resizes the first partion to
start at the beginning and end at 180 GB without losing data. It may take
some time depending upon your processing power.

The next command makes a primary partition on your freed space, of type
linux-swap and formats it.

All the parted commands can be put into a single file, let us  call it
"script" and then you can double-check all the typing and then do the lot
with a single command.

parted -s script

swapon /dev/hda2

Allows you to continue working and use the swap partition. grml will
automatically see the new swap partition on a reboot when it rebuilds the
file system table /etc/fstab - unless you have disabled that option.

Best Wishes
Moss

> Hello, I am a blind computer user, and am trying to install GRML on my
laptop computer. My setup is as follows:
> I'm using the speakup_synth=ltlk boot parameter to start my external
synthesizer, however I wish to also use a 2 gb swap partition that I have
> created just in case. How can I run grml2hd to do this? Also, how do I
go
> about installing TTSynth to have software speech via Speakup afterwards?
> have the deb image needed for TTSynth. I just need the library it needs
> install. And also, what steps are needed to get Gnome and Orca running?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is the best Linux distro that has
> detected all my hardware, and seems to work the best with the sound
card,
> which is a must when you are a blind laptop Linux user. So any help I
could get would be very much appreciated.