[Grml] Number of partitions for sata limitation lifted?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Aug 26 07:45:24 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070826 01:00]:

> A while back, I discussed the problem why Linux can only see 15 partitions
> on my sata HD.

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.grml.user/844/focus=847

> Just now I saw there's a guy saikee puts 145 operating systems on 145
> partitions. So I'm wondering if the limitation for the number of partitions
> for sata HD has been lifted or not in grml, or it is only justlinux that
> allows doing so.

No, please use volume mangement instead of normal partitions if you
need more than 15 "partitions". The SCSI/SATA standard defines a
limit of 15 partitions and upstream didn't accept patches which
annul this limit, see for example
http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue42 =>
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0411.1/1098.html