[Grml] Problems booting GRML via fromhd

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 22 17:14:07 CEST 2007

* Philipp Richter <philipp.richter at linbit.com> [20070822 16:45]:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 20:26:43 Michael Prokop wrote:

> > > - the next thing was that the sysfs-scsi-detection code did not find my
> > > fusion mpt controller. after reading /modules/scsi/scsi-modules.txt i
> > > knew why: because it was missing from there. after adding the entries for
> > > it i ended with a correctly detected controller but without a raid. how
> > > is the scsi-modules.txt file created? by hand? maybe it would be better
> > > to generate it from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.{dep,pcimap} because
> > > in these files the mpt drivers where referenced ...

> > Thanks for information.

> > We use http://grml.org/files/devel/create-scsi-mod-file.sh for
> > generating the scsi-modules.txt file.

> hmm. the fusion mpt driver resides in a different location
> (/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/message/fusion) so you have to add
> this directory to the 'find'. but then again, the simple dependency logic
> does not work here because there are multiple dependencies and modinfo prints
> them in random order (for mptsas.ko to load you need to load mptbase.ko and
> mptscsih.ko in this order). modprobe would be cool here ... any reason not to
> use it?

modprobe of busybox was/is too broken. :( But when switching to the
initramfs approach we shouldn't have to deal with that any further.

> > Excellent. Thanks a lot for sharing your patches! I'll take a closer
> > look at them. Regarding the mdadm stuff I hope to be able to use
> > live-initramfs in the near future which should give us more options
> > for mdadm/lvm/... out-of-the-box in the initrd/initramfs part of
> > booting.

> this sounds good. recent kernel/initramfs combinations are really powerful and
> flexible regarding the device of the root filesystem. for which release is
> the live-initramfs transition planned?

Depends on the progress of development in the next few weeks.

If we have a grml 1.1 release quite soon, the initramfs-approach
might hit 1.2, if we "delay" the 1.1 release some further weeks it
might be part of 1.1 already. (I expect to take a closer look at
live-initramfs at this weekend at Froscon - see
http://www.mail-archive.com/grml@mur.at/msg01328.html for details.)

> cheers bzw. sers,

greats && seas :)