[Grml] Problems booting GRML via fromhd

Philipp Richter philipp.richter at linbit.com
Wed Aug 22 16:44:44 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 20:26:43 Michael Prokop wrote:

> > - the next thing was that the sysfs-scsi-detection code did not find my
> > fusion mpt controller. after reading /modules/scsi/scsi-modules.txt i
> > knew why: because it was missing from there. after adding the entries for
> > it i ended with a correctly detected controller but without a raid. how
> > is the scsi-modules.txt file created? by hand? maybe it would be better
> > to generate it from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.{dep,pcimap} because
> > in these files the mpt drivers where referenced ...
>
> Thanks for information.
>
> We use http://grml.org/files/devel/create-scsi-mod-file.sh for
> generating the scsi-modules.txt file.

hmm. the fusion mpt driver resides in a different location
(/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/message/fusion) so you have to add
this directory to the 'find'. but then again, the simple dependency logic
does not work here because there are multiple dependencies and modinfo prints
them in random order (for mptsas.ko to load you need to load mptbase.ko and
mptscsih.ko in this order). modprobe would be cool here ... any reason not to
use it?

> Excellent. Thanks a lot for sharing your patches! I'll take a closer
> look at them. Regarding the mdadm stuff I hope to be able to use
> live-initramfs in the near future which should give us more options
> for mdadm/lvm/... out-of-the-box in the initrd/initramfs part of
> booting.

this sounds good. recent kernel/initramfs combinations are really powerful and
flexible regarding the device of the root filesystem. for which release is
the live-initramfs transition planned?

cheers bzw. sers,
--
: Philipp Richter                                 Tel +43-1-8178292-51 :
: Vivenotgasse 48, A-1120 Vienna/Europe          http://www.linbit.com :