[Grml] Why does the speech system like to spell instead of readwords?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Aug 20 22:34:31 CEST 2007

"Tom Moore" writes:
> The reason for Speakup spelling words has to do with the preempt kernel
> option being turned on in the default Grml kernel.
> If you compile a kernel with the Grml sources and turn this option off
> this
> will go away and Speakup will operate as you expect.

	I am quoting a message from the archives that was posted
last March. I downloaded the live CD grml_1.0.iso image
and am experiencing this very problem with software speech.

	Before reen venting any more wheels than necessary, is
there any ISO image of this live CD that has the kernel compiled
without the preempt option turned on?

	Does this, itself cause any other side effects?

	I am not afraid of building kernels but haven't built
any ISO images before other than to use mkisofs to enshrine
directories on a CDROM.

	Another idea might be to have 2 kernels on the live CD
and boot from, say, grml or grml-alt. Judging from the present
size of this image, there might not be enough room for that, but
it is a thought.

	I tested the live CD on a Dell Enspiron2600 with a 1-gig
Celeron CPU and 256-megs of RAM, and a
ten-year-old Gateway Pentium with only 64 megs of ram and a
400-MHZ processor. Both had the spelling torture response and,
surprisingly, both spoke at about the same speed. The Gateway
probably would have worked just fine if not for the preemption
issue. It probably wouldn't have had much memory left over for
doing work with just the 64 megs.

	The laptop delivered little bursts of good speech and
then lapsed in to slow spelling any time it was doing other work
such as scrolling the screen.

	Thanks for any advice.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer