[Grml] VirtualBox and Grml

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Aug 20 10:44:13 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070820 02:08]:

> I remember while browsing planet.grml.org the other day, I saw one grml
> developer (mika, was it you?) highly praised the VirtualBox, stating that it
> is even faster than VMware. This get me very excited. Can someone give me
> some 101 introduction to VirtualBox, because I found most VirtualBox
> articles are for Ubuntu.

Yes, this was me.

> Moreover, seems VirtualBox need to be compiled from source [1]. Can we
> have a VirtualBox package in grml?

> Also "before installing VirtualBox, your Linux OS has to satisfy some
> software requirements: in particular, you will need libxalan-c, libxerces-s
> and version 5 of libstdc++. Unfortunately, these packages are found under
> different names in the repositories of various Linux distributions so
> installing them will most likely cause problems" [2]. Can we straight
> things up in grml as well?

It's pretty simple to get VirtualBox running on grml. :)

Just add the following line to your sources.list:

# virtualbox:
  deb http://www.virtualbox.org/debian etch non-free

Then run 'au ; ati virtualbox' and everything else should run pretty
straight forward (assuming you have the kernel-headers available on
your system - that's the default for your grml system - so compiling
the kernel module by the Debian package works).

That's it. :)