[Grml] Re: Controlling CPU Frequency

- Tong - mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 06:00:33 CEST 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:47:32 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> If you want to read some docs regarding ACPI and cpufreq start for
> example with
> https://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/40/ACPI.pdf and
> https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/brown_1-Reprint.pdf and
> the docs inside Documentation/cpu-freq/ of current kernel sources.

Thanks for the info. Just finished reading them.

> To check your current settings regarding cpu frequency scaling check
> output of 'cpufreq-info'...

 % cpufreq-info
 cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
 Report errors and bugs to linux at brodo.de, please.
 analyzing CPU 0:
   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

,-----
| If cpufreq quits with an error message, you should first re-check that you
| have the correct cpufreq driver.
`-----

So, what cpufreq driver should I use?

> Is the 'thermal' kernel module loaded on your system?

 % insmod thermal
 insmod: can't read 'thermal': No such file or directory

 $ dmesg | grep ^CPU0
 CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+ stepping 0a

,-----
| If you intend to use a kernel compiled with these features, you should use
| dmesg | grep cpufreq to check if the kernel was able to initialize the
| feature.
`-----

 % dmesg | grep cpufreq || echo no found
 no found

 $ uname -rm
 2.6.20-grml i686

> Check CPU
> temperature using tools like sensors/mbmon (depending of your
> hardware whether what's supported of course).

How would I know if my hardware is supported or not?

BTW, anybody know the 'conservative' governor?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/