[Grml] Wish grml scripts honor/use debconf method

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Apr 22 11:57:59 CEST 2007

* Tong Sun <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070422 06:15]:

,---- [ http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html ]
| Debconf should be used whenever your package needs to output
| something to the user, or ask a question. I'll assume you already
| have a package that does this and you want to convert it to use
| debconf.
`----

For me debconf is something for use with Debian packages, not for
user scripts.

Switching from dialog to debconf would break the OS compability, the
scripts could not be used outside of Debian then. As I use some of
my scripts on other platforms as well that's nothing I really want
to do. Especially as it will become even harder for contributors to
make patches against scripts, because they would have to learn about
debconf first - whereas dialog is pretty straight forward.

Of course, if you find any dialog based grml-scripts which are
Debian/grml only and think debconf would be a great benefit, feel
free to provide a prototype.