[Grml] booting from external disk

August C. Quint augustq at gmx.net
Wed Apr 4 11:23:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

sorry for the delay but I had some work to do.

I've played a bit around and made the following observations:

- booting from external hard-disk does not work
as described before

- boot Windows XP
I can boot Windows XP (included with the notebook) from the internal disk,
connect the external disk with grml on it via USB and then tell Windows to
reboot: voila, it works, after some time I can login.

- boot grml from CD
I can boot grml from the CD, connect the external disk via USB, login to grml
and enter reboot. After removing the CD the system reboots from the external
disk

- boot Knoppix from CD
I can boot Knoppix from the CD, connect the external disk via USB, and tell
Knoppix to reboot. After removing the CD the system now boots grml from the
external hard-disk.

OK, for me this looks like a problem with the notebook. I will contact Medion
but I guess they will not be able to answer my questions.

Or is there any way to 'work around' this problem?

Thanks
AugustQ