[Grml] USERGROUPS=no ?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Sep 28 11:04:05 CEST 2006

* Wolfgang Scheicher <worf at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> [20060927 12:15]:

> Since still nobody could give me a reason why every user should have his own
> group (or can you?) i prefer setting USERGROUPS=no in /etc/adduser.conf

> experimenting with remastering grml i found out that there are some places
> with a "chmod grml.grml <dir>"

Well, I assume you mean "chown grml.grml <dir>". ;)

> ( /etc/grml/autoconfig.functions, /etc/init.d/grml-home )

> I think by changing this to "chmod grml: <dir>" we would support both ways.
> Well, and since i would like it that way, i'm requesting that little change :)

But that would break permissions.

Suggestion: I could check for UID 1000 and GUID 1000 and run "chmod
$USER_WITH_ID_1000:$GROUP_WITH_ID_1000" instead (already done that
way in some code where it's not live-cd only). This would be less
static without breaking any permissions. However you name your
$USER_WITH_ID_1000 and $GROUP_WITH_ID_1000 - it would work then for
you too. Ok?