[Grml] Rerunning lilo

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Sep 23 15:57:31 CEST 2006

* Scott Ford <w8sef at sbcglobal.net> [20060923 15:49]:

> 	I am new to the list and Linux.  I installed GRML on my Toshiba a55.
> I am blind and I was able to resize my hard drive, and install the grml to
> the hard drive with no problem.  This is what I had partitioned my hard
> drive to, hda1 26G, hda2 2g fat32, hda3 1G Linux swap, and hda4 Linux.
> Thank you guys for setting up such an awesome distribution.  I have been
> looking for this for a long time.   I have been reading and learning .  I
> figured that I would reconfigure my hard rive so that I had an extended
> partition.  This is what I changed it to hda1 26G ntfs, hda2 1G Linux swap,
> hda33G Linux, hda4 extended, hda5 fat16 5G, and hda6 4G Linux.  I reran the
> grml2hd script, it went well, it said that lilo ran successfully.  However
> it did not.  So I mounted hda3 the Linux partition, and copied the
> /mnt/hda3/etc/lilo.conf to the /etc/lilo.conf.  I then ran /sbin/lilo It
> failed saying that /dev/hda3 is not set to be active.  I then discovered
> that the line /device/hda3 was in the place where /dev/had been in my
> original configuration.  I attempted to change it to /dev/had.  I tried to
> rerun lilo again, it failed attempting to map to unmapped device oxoee or
> something.  I am sorry I did not write exactly what it said down. However I
> believe that you guys probably are familiar with what is happening.  I do
> not have a clue though.  I cannot seem to find any thing on what is
> happening on the net either.  Thank you guys in advanced.

I'm not *really* sure what's going on because it's very hard to read
your text. Using newlines to separate some sentences would simplify
it. But let me guess what might be your problem:

Looks like you installed lilo into the partition where you did
install grml into, instead of installing lilo into MBR of your
harddisk.

Make sure the line containing boot= in /etc/lilo.conf is correct
(AFAICS you need /dev/hda for it) and rerun lilo then. Make sure
/proc and /sys are mounted if you are running lilo in a chroot
environment.

If that does not work please show your lilo.conf (just attach it to
your mail) and the commands you are using to fix your setup.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/