[Grml] BadRam/BadMem Kernelpatch

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Tue Oct 31 14:04:50 CET 2006

>So IMO this would only be useful for private use.

i don`t think so - at least i wouldn`t say it`s only usefule for private use if you mean "home use"

- think of developing countries where people cannot afford replacing their ram because of just "one bit out of millions" is bad

- think of companies with large test/development environments which are not mission critical. we have many boxes out of service contract at work - and we still use them until they die or getting too old

- think of a server which constantly crashes during a recover you try with grml - due to bad ram. should you really buy new ram for that machine if it gets replaced, anyway - and you just need it being running stable for the recovery process ? maybe this is just a theoretical scenario, but the discussion  about the pro`s and con`s of badram patch is very controversial.

anyway - i heard there will be an request for inclusion into mainline soon.

roland