[Grml] BadRam/BadMem Kernelpatch

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Mon Oct 30 01:12:26 CET 2006

> I'm not a real friend of out-of-tree code, especially if it replaces
> *existing* code from mainline. *If* such a patch is really desirable
> it should be sent to LKML and walk through the review cycle. Any
> single patch differing from mainline makes debugging problems
> harder, so I'm quite conservative in accepting patches to main
> grml-kernel.

ok - quite ok to be conservative  - i can understand this.

on the other hand with kernel patches it`s often sort of a chicken-egg problem.
no mainline inclusion without testing, no testing without mainline inclusion.......
yes, but grml is not for testing kernel patches ;)

i came across the following posting and contacted the author:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-506388.html

think we just should wait for some time......

regards
roland

ps:
anyway - not sure if the BadRam patch changes relevant code-paths if there isn`t "badram=" specified on the commandline.