[Grml] Remastering GRML with kernel

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Oct 18 09:59:18 CEST 2006

[Roland, please subscribe to the mailinglist before sending mails, thanks.]

* roland <devzero at web.de> [20061018 09:31]:

> I?d like to integrate VMWare Server onto a GRML-CD.

> The Remastering-Howto at
> http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=remastering is quite nice - but
> it doesn`t menation what to bear in mind, if i want to rebuild the
> grml kernel, too !?

> When installing vmware server, kernel-source is needed. this
> doesn`t come with grml, afaik.

> so - i need to setup a kernel build environment inside my
> "grml-copied-to-disk", install kernel-source, apply patches
> install vmware server and build vmware specific kernel modules
> with "vmware-config.pl".

> is anybody out there who already did this and likes to share his experience ?

I think I already did this. ;)

If you need the kernel sources just install them in the chroot
(apt-get install linux-source-2.6.17-grml), even though I'm not sure
whether you really need them (aren't kernel-headers enough?).

But make sure you have the current vmware-any-any-update which is
necessary for recent kernel versions.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/