[Grml] Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024)

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Oct 8 01:34:32 CEST 2006

* T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20061007 23:46]:

> I'm sure most of you have seen it before, but any of you know how to fix it?
> Ie, the following error when playing movies with mplayer:

>  Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.

> Problem of following "echo" command is, I just did, and still get the error.

>  $ cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
>  1024

> Any comment?

This is due to use of High Precision Event Timer on grml, the future
replacement for the RTC periodic timer functionality¹.

Quoting http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html:

,----
| -rtc (RTC only)
|
|   Useless with modern Linux kernels configured for desktop use as they
|   already wake up the process with similar accuracy when using normal
|   timed sleep.
`----

So as far as I understand you don't need the rtc-mechanism in
mplayer nowadays.  Check whether mplayer's option -nortc changes
anything for you, but AFAICS just ignoring the rtc_irqp_set-message
should work as well. ;)

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer
  http://www.intel.com/hardwaredesign/hpetspec.htm

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/