[Grml] fonts.dir missing after aptitude upgrade

Tom White tom at bulldogcountry.com
Sat Oct 7 16:44:48 CEST 2006

"grml-x fluxbox" quit starting X on my grml hd system a couple of
"aptitude upgrade"s ago; X can't find the "fixed" font.

Looking through my font directories I found that most of my "fonts.dir"
files were now only "0".  I tried "mkfontdir" but got another 2 byte
"fonts.dir".

Most of the font directories contain "font.alias" files rather than font
files; I assume "mkfontdir" can't find the fonts listed in "font.alias"

What should I do to correct my "fonts.dir" files?

-- Tom White