[Grml] Trial to install after the manual : grml-tips sarge

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Nov 29 20:29:28 CET 2006

* Erich Minderlein <erminderlein at locoware.de> [20061129 19:15]:

[...]

> What is a general problem with CDROM Live systems : reply:
>      1. locatedb older than 8 days,
> very helpful, but I knew that before, I want to know if this-> or that->
> file is there.

Hm? That's just timestamp based and we won't release a new stable
release every 8 days just to supress the warning. ;)

Seriously: it's just a warning message, nothing to care about on the
live-cd - everything ok. On your hd-installation run 'updatedb' to
update the locate database, but don't care about it on the live-cd.

> going along the manual of grml-tips sarge installation was very
> helpful,
> also sda1 was found and a filesystem made with mkfs.ext3.

> there is an output of mkfs.ext3 :
> Dateisystem wird geprüft alle .., je nachdem ...,
> veränderbar mit tune2fs -c oder -t
> must be
> veränderbar mit tune2fs -c oder -i
> =================================^
> lots of downloads going on, install is fine.

mkfs.ext3 is nothing which is controlled by grml.
You mean the output of mkfs.ext3 regarding tune2fs contains errors?!

> but after the chroot TROUBLE
> vi : unkown terminal type screen.linux
> so lets use some other editors:
> pico, nano, nvi what there is in the same directory, all the same reply:
> unkown terminal type screen.linux
> As I did the chroot in a second console, I could continue to do
> the editing work in the first console with longer directory strings.
> in the chroot : no tab completion, but for a few commands okay,
> and no paths are found.

Just set $TERM to something like 'linux' when chrooting...

[...]

> perl continued to complain LANGUAGE unset,
[...]

Just install 'locales'.

> I continued through the script, and probably made a mistake :
> installed kernel-image-2.6.8-2 from sarge
> edited lilo  but did not edit the kernel line as vmlinu? in chroot:
> did /sbin/lilo
> added linux*
> looked okay.

> Surprise at the reboot
> kernel 2.6.17-grml shows up.
> a sarge like font, a grml like kernel.

> Actually this is what I wanted to have,
> but not in this completely uncontrolled manner.

> the kernel still sits somewhere on the HDD, not over written and I ask
> myself
> Did lilo content itself when finding this kernel ???????
> (this happened actually twice.)

Seems you did not adjust the lilo.conf corresponding to your needs.

[...]
> erased all partitions :
[...]
> mkfs.ext3 does not read sda4  as primary partition!!!
> ls does not show it either , so I make a "Erweitere" partition and
> eliminate sda4, sda3.

> this is the typescript of the session:
> Script wurde gestartet: Mi 29 Nov 2006 18:47:12 CET

> root at amilopro #fdisk /dev/sda

[...]
> WARNUNG: Neueinlesen der Partitionstabelle führte zu Fehler 16: Das
> Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt.
> Der Kernel benutzt noch die alte Tabelle.
> Die neue Tabelle wird beim nächsten Neustart verwendet.
> Synchronisiere Platten.
> root at amilopro # init 0
> Script beendet: Mi 29 Nov 2006 18:48:24 CET
> ls /dev/sd* does not show
> /dev/sda4, /dev/sda5, /dev/sda6 !

> I cannot mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5/ dev/sda6 !
> no devices.
> /dev/sda4 cannot be found not as p-partition, nor
> /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 as l-partition.

For sure, because something is still accessing your disk so the
partition table can not be reread using the BLKRRPART ioctl().  Very
probably its an enabled swap partition. Take a look at output of
'swapon -s' and disable swap partitions via 'swapoff -a'.

Now guess why we disable automatic enabling of swap partitions
starting with grml 0.9. ;)

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/