[Grml] Re: Boot USB sans IDE noise (bug report)

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 29 06:46:29 CET 2006

> The best solution we found was "hdparm -Y /dev/hdX" (and /dev/cdrom).
> It works on hard disks if not all CD-ROMs.

P.S. Bug in grml 0.8-1

Shutdown procedure hangs at swapoff step when IDE drives are off.
I did "swapoff -a" prior to "hdparm -Y ..." so should be problems.

The new 0.9rc1 grml has swap off by default (hooray!) so behavior
may be different, but someone should test with 0/9rc1.
Just do hdparm -Y /dev/hdX on all hard drives, "shutdown -h 0".
Watch the output.

Mark