[Grml] AMILOPRO V2030 sluggish : cpu frequency modulation slow speedstep-centrino vs. p4-clockmod

Erich Minderlein erminderlein at locoware.de
Wed Nov 22 14:32:11 CET 2006

Hello
Frequency is increasing to the limit of 1500 MHz and keyboard response
is much better during the test, then decreasing again.
Also with other processes frequency scaling by userspace is varying.
Thank you, with this inquiry I found out, that the problem is with
another issue, (X.org), this will not bother you and I follow up there.

Thank you again

> date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:46:25 +0100
> From: Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org>
> Subject: Re: [Grml] AMILOPRO V2030 sluggish : cpu frequency modulation
> 	slow	speedstep-centrino vs. p4-clockmod
> To: grml at mur.at
>
> * Erich Minderlein <erminderlein at locoware.de> [20061121 21:29]:
>
> > cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
> [...]
> >   Hardwarebedingte Grenzen der Taktfrequenz: 188 MHz - 1.50 GHz
> >   mgliche Taktfrequenzen: 188 MHz, 375 MHz, 563 MHz, 750 MHz, 938 MHz,
> > 1.13 GHz, 1.31 GHz, 1.50 GHz
> >   mgliche Regler: userspace, performance
> >   momentane Taktik: die Frequenz soll innerhalb 188 MHz und 1.50 GHz.
> >                     liegen. Der Regler "userspace" kann frei
> > entscheiden,
> >                     welche Taktfrequenz innerhalb dieser Grenze
> > verwendet wird.
> >   momentane Taktfrequenz ist 188 MHz  (verifiziert durch Nachfrage bei
> > der Hardware).
>
> That looks OK for me - basically. Are powernowd or cpudyn running,
> right?
>
> > this is not what we want !
> > so the change of frequency is not allowed as I understand
>
> No, your system should adjust cpu frequency according to the needs.
> Services like powernowd can handle that for you. You can adjust the
> limits manually as well, see
> http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/processor.html
>
> If you do not want to use frequency scaling at all you just have to
> unload the cpu-frequency modules of course.
>
> But let's check whether your system really adjusts frequency
> according to your needs. So just run cpuburn-in and take a look at
> the current processor frequency (running cpu-screen,
> cpufreq-info,... or just 'cat
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq'). Is it still
> at 188MHz is it increasing?

> > Whover choose the smp for a single cpu laptop or is this double core ?
>
> Hm?
>
> The SMP-alternatives feature of recent kernels allows use of SMP
> enabled kernels on unicore systems, nothing to care about.

thanks understood this, now one kernel variant less