[Grml] Re: Console screen rotation

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:48:43 CET 2006

For people who may google later, here is a nice recipe.  If you drive an
LCD from non-DVI, analog 15-pin video (still common), and console or X11
won't lock to LCD native resolution:

1. Create a modeline using videogen for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Use monitor
specs from the vendor's manual.

2. Use the monitor's (auto-)adjustments to sync with that mode,
producing lock.  Either gddccontrol, monitor buttons, or vendor programs
will do it.  The idea is to put the right settings into monitor
firmware.

3. Run modeline2fb against /etc/X11/xorg.conf and append the output to
/etc/fb.modes.  The framebuffer mode format is different from xorg.conf
format.

4. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to call the appropriate mode, e.g.
   append="grml_from_hd noswap video=vesafb:Samsung971p fbcon=rotate:3 "
   # portrait rotation

5. Run lilo -v to enact changes.

6. Reboot.

We get pretty good results this way.  We're still tweaking.  Any
comments/advice would be appreciated.  BTW videogen is a nice tool
because it produces both mode formats.