[Grml] PXE-Boot Parameter

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Nov 27 22:29:12 CET 2006

* Ralf Moll <ralf-info at family-moll.de> [20061127 22:15]:

>  I'm using GRML via PXE on my debian sarge server.

>  Everything runs perfect, but I noticed, that there is the cheatcode "nodhcp"
>  in the PXE-Docu on
>  http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=terminalserver#booting_grml_without_grml-terminalserver
>  (
>  LABEL grml
>  KERNEL linux26
>  APPEND ramdisk_size=16384 root=/dev/ram0 rw init=/etc/init nfsdir=<YOUR
>  IP>:/mnt/nfs/grml \
>       nodhcp noprompt noeject apm=power-off nomce initrd=minirt26.gz vga=791
>  )

>  If I remove the "nodhcp", the client gets an IP and the DNS-Server. With the
>  standard config including "nodhcp", the client gets an IP and is booting, but
>  it gets only manually a DNS-Server entry by running dhcp-client manually.

>  So what is the reason for the nodhcp-entry?
>  BTW: Knoppix uses this entry for pxe-booting, too!

The bootoption 'nodhcp' prevents the userspace part of the
bootprocess to *not* *re-*request an ip address via pump.
The bootoption is not relevant for the initrd sequence where ip
address is requested as well when booting via PXE.

Tip for german speaking people: take a look at Gebis PXE slides from
linuxday in Graz:

  http://glt06.linuxtage.at/slides/gebetsroither-pxe.pdf

JFTR: an issue regarding /etc/resolv.conf is on my todolist for grml
0.9 [see http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue21 for the BTS-entry].