[Grml] Writing to Hard Drives from LiveCD

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Nov 14 13:15:13 CET 2006

* Juergen Fiedler <juergen.fiedler at gmail.com> [20061109 18:15]:

>  I have observed something odd: When I write data to a mounted hard drive
>  partition while running from the livecd, the amount of written data is
>  subtracted from the free RAM, i.e., if I do a

>    dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hda1/tmp/testfile bs=1M count=512

>  with /dev/hda1 mounted on /mnt/hda1, I am losing 512M of my RAM; deleting
>  the file frees up that RAM.
>  After rebooting, the file is still there, but doesn't take up any RAM
>  anymore.

>  I think I may be missing something vitally important about how the unionfs
>  is set up. Can anybody please tell me how I can write files to an HD without
>  them taking up RAM, too?

JFTR:

Well, as written on IRC caching is a good thing. ;)
AFAIK your problems seems to be solved, if not please let us know.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/