[Grml] /etc/fstab and mounting USB drives

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Nov 3 15:02:46 CET 2006

* Tom White <tom at bulldogcountry.com> [20061103 14:53]:
> The latest rebuildfstab in my grml installed on hd has these entries:

>   LABEL=MX320G /mnt/MX320G ntfs
>   noauto,user,dev,suid,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0 # /dev/sda1

>   /dev/usb-sda1 /mnt/usb-sda1 auto
>   user,noauto,nodev,noatime,nosuid,noexec,rw,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0

> Those are the same drive.

>   mount /mnt/MX320G

> doesn't work; it complains about no LABEL=MX320G device.

Please show output of:

# vol_id /dev/usb-sda1

when your device is available as /dev/usb-sda1. (Seems to be a
problem with ntfs.)

>   mount /mnt/usb-sda1

> does work, but I don't like the "rw" on my ntfs file system.

Basically I wanted to avoid another fstype-check in rebuildfstab.
"auto" works pretty well, everything the kernel is aware of works OOTB.
The rw becomes ro as soon as the kernel isn't sure whether rw really
works. Check the syslog when mounting the device, is it *really* rw?

> Here's another pair from /etc/fstab that mount a vfat fs:

>   LABEL=MX200G /mnt/MX200G vfat
>   noauto,user,dev,suid,exec,umask=000,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0 # /dev/sdb1

>   /dev/usb-sdb1 /mnt/usb-sdb1 auto
>   user,noauto,nodev,noatime,nosuid,noexec,rw,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0

> Both

>   mount /mnt/MX200G

> and

>   mount /mnt/usb-sdb1

> work.

Thanks, seems that vfat works but ntfs causes headaches once more. :(