[Grml] /etc/fstab and mounting USB drives

Tom White tom at bulldogcountry.com
Fri Nov 3 14:42:04 CET 2006

The latest rebuildfstab in my grml installed on hd has these entries:

  LABEL=MX320G /mnt/MX320G ntfs
  noauto,user,dev,suid,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0 # /dev/sda1

  /dev/usb-sda1 /mnt/usb-sda1 auto
  user,noauto,nodev,noatime,nosuid,noexec,rw,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0

Those are the same drive.

  mount /mnt/MX320G

doesn't work; it complains about no LABEL=MX320G device.

  mount /mnt/usb-sda1

does work, but I don't like the "rw" on my ntfs file system.

Here's another pair from /etc/fstab that mount a vfat fs:

  LABEL=MX200G /mnt/MX200G vfat
  noauto,user,dev,suid,exec,umask=000,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0 # /dev/sdb1

  /dev/usb-sdb1 /mnt/usb-sdb1 auto
  user,noauto,nodev,noatime,nosuid,noexec,rw,uid=tom,gid=tom 0 0

Both

  mount /mnt/MX200G

and

  mount /mnt/usb-sdb1