[Grml] Calculators (was: [Grml] Is accessing striped "dynamic disks" from GRML possible?)

Michael Schierl schierlm-public at gmx.de
Thu Nov 2 22:58:26 CET 2006

Ulrich Dangel schrieb:

> Try python. Just enter 0xfa or something and you get the corresponding
> decimal value.
>
> If you want the hex value of a decimal number, use hex($numer) and it
> works.

and (how) can I reference previous outputs? I can name them beforehand
but if I do it is lots more to type. Using screen or gdm to copy the
value is not better either.

-----
>>> 0xAFFE
45054
>>> previous * 2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'previous' is not defined

-----

>> There is no orpie (great console RPN calculator) and GNU Calculator
>> for Emacs is not there either. Okay, dc/bc is there, but I don't know
>> (and could not figure out by grepping the man page) how they can
>> handle hex numbers...
>
> Hm, i just tried orpie and i think python is much nicer, especially if
> you use ipython.

in my experience orpie is nice just because it needs very few key
strokes (no parentheses, no return, short forms for most extended
functions) like on a real calculator. GNU Emacs Calculator is similar,
but a bit larger (and much more powerful). But that does not mean orpie
is powerless, it has arbitrary-precision integers and matrices as well
(I am missing fractions in orpie, but can live without, since gcd is
there; so I can do all fraction calculations "manually").

> Hm, i used grml 0.8.3 or something like that, and it worked out of the
> box. I can rebuild it, if you really need it.

You need not. In the particular case I solved it with BartPE and there
will probably be lots of more grml releases before I need it again
(using striped volumes on Windows is not very common). Okay, I hope to
never need it again, (I would not mind never needing grml again
either...) but you never know. ;)

Michael