[Grml] ATI drivers vs. Mesa

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu May 25 21:05:15 CEST 2006

* Werner Schuster (murphee) <werner.schuster at gmail.com> [20060525 20:39]:

>  I tried to get the  fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-grml drivers for ATI, but it seems
>  like that creates problems with the install Mesa drivers, ie. I get the
>  following error:

>  Unpacking replacement fglrx-driver ...
>  dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_8.25.18-1_i386.deb
>  (--unpack):
>   trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package
>  xlibmesa-gl
>  dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

>  Could I remove the Mesa libs? Removing the Mesa package doesn't work, because
>  that would remove half my system (even amarok depends on it).

>  What about removing the libGL.so.1.2 file, so that the fglrx can install its
>  version; if the driver causes trouble, would this make my system instable?

The fglrx-driver package should take care of this and should add a
diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to
/usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGl.so.1.2.

This works for me:

  http://grml.org/tmp/gkrellShoot_05-25-06_210104.png

Are you using Xorg 7.0? Is you system up2date?
What does 'dpkg --get-selections | grep xlib' say?

The last method to solve the problem would be a 'dpkg -i
--force-overwrite ~deb/fglrx-driver_8.25.18-1_i386.deb'.

Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time.