[Grml] kernel panic and slow start up

Sean Kennedy sean.worker at gmail.com
Tue May 9 04:10:07 CEST 2006

I've installed grml on a usb hard drive, and had success (except for it
spending a lot - 10 minutes at least - of time "Loading kernel 2.6.16" if I
remember the message properly).

But after I did:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade (which had some problems so I did apt-get -f install)

I get a kernel panic during start up, it tells me to set the proper root
when I start, or something like that.

I suppose the first thing is how to resolve the kernel panic (I'm pretty
sure that without doing a dist-upgrade my kernel shouldn't have been
touched).

If I can get that resolved, I'd like to know why my computer can boot faster
from the CD than from the hard drive (it is a USB2 connection).