[Grml] How to use Splashscreen grml Scripts

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri May 5 13:06:50 CEST 2006

* Keller Florian <Florian.Keller at zuerich.ch> [20060505 12:59]:

> >Do you mean this kind of modules?
> >http://slax.linux-live.org/modules.php

> >So to get the idea: you want to have a single file which includes a
> >specific software (let's say CitrixICA Client) and want to add this
> >to a running grml system, right?

> Yes thats one part that I miss :), but I dont care if the system state
> is running or down. It would be nice if the grml main release is also
> in Package Formats (like slax) the Current release looks like that:

> 01_kernel.mo (compiled kernel)
> 02_core.mo (Main System/Config files)
> 03_xwindow.mo (Xorg 7)
> 09_slax.mo (Slax Stuff)
> 11_popcorn.mo (XFCE Window Manager)

> Lets think about someone that didnt like XFCE remove easily the 11_popcorn.mo
> package and add 11_kde.mo package.

> Or if someone code stuff or need dev package to compile something could also
> temporary add the development_tools.mo package :).

> I would love such features :).

Nice idea. I've to take a look how much work this kind of splitting
would be and how to realize it.

> >> Hm, I'm thinking about an ACII version of a bootscreen, maybe
> >> there's a nice-looking way to do this via ASCII only. Hmmm... :)

> I allready made such ASCII boot script (token from my
> slax-customized RAS CD). Im using it with Framebuffer @ size
> 800x600 cause some PC cannot show higher FB resolutions. The bad
> thing is that I had to customize: etc/grml/lsb-functions,
> /lib/lsb/init-functions

If the bootsplash is something we could implement in grml itself I
would adjust lsb-/init-functions of course in grml-packages itself.

> To Output text on another TTY and to write it to a logfile :). And
> also customized some startup scripts for changes in progress bar
> like Splash Screen do. If you intrested how my customized grml
> look like I could post a little movie recorded in VMware.

Of course! Please upload the movie and post the URL! :)

> BTW: A dependecie in /etc/init.d/grml-autoconfig to the pumper
> debian package would be nice :). I asked myself yesterday why I
> had to start manual the dhcp client :) to get an IP address :). I
> found out that uninstall pumper package wasn't smart at all :)

Thanks, fixed:

,---- [ debian/changelog ]

`----