[Grml] Grml philosophy

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 17:38:55 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I'm always interested in pure Debian based Live-CDs. I was half way
building my own read-only root fs, when I noticed grml. I wish I had known
it earlier. I have to say grml is exactly the type of Live distro that
I've been looking for for a long long time. Browsing through the web site,
I know it has got lots of publicity in the German speaking world. But I
think it lacks the equivalent publicity in the English speaking world. In
summary, such nice distro deserved to have more people to know and use...

Ok, here are my questions.

I'd like to know the philosophy behind the grml releases. I used to use
Debian testing, but recently revert to stable because the vulnerability of
Debian testing. So you know I'm always on the cautions side. I know
Knopsis, Ubunto does a lot of QA testing before the release. How about
grml? Seems to me that grml pick its release packages only based on the
cut off date. How about the problems/errors that inherited from the
packages of the cut off date? Can't imaging so many tools will have one
perfect day to be error free. Do you revert several versions back on those
packages that have problems? In short, Debian unstable always has
the potential to be unstable. What's the mechanism in place for grml to
avoid it?

thanks

tong