[Grml] new kernel to get new ati driver

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Jul 29 08:17:11 CEST 2006

* my <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20060729 06:15]:

> One of the few weak spots in grml was the lack of ability to install the
> latest ati drivers as they came out.

Huh, what?!

| ATI Driver Installer  [...]  07/28/06   Version: 8.27.10

  --  https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

vs.

  -- http://grml.supersized.org/archives/172-2.6.17-grml-in-the-grml-repository,-fglrx-driver-8.27.10.html

> How safe is it to apt get the new grml kernel and fglrx driver, to
> wit, since I must have the ndiswrapper work, will module assistant
> be able to make sure that the ndiswrapper works with the new
> kernel, so I have the pleasure of being able to connect to the
> internet and plage you with ignorant questions?

Don't know why you want to compile ndiswrapper on your own, it's
available in the grml-repository as usual:

# apt-get install ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.17-grml

Who says you have to delete the old kernel when installing and
running the new kernel? Just fallback again to the old, working
kernel if you consider any problems like "Internet connection does
not work" with the new kernel. Just leave the entry in your
bootmanager and don't apt-get remove the kernel-image.

> If I were to wait for grml 8, due out, I presume, soon, will the kernel
> recompile be straightforward, as in debian, and the modules all work
> without a hitch? Will there be a way to apt install all the grml patches?

Yes.

http://dufo.tugraz.at/~prokop/grml-kernel/2.6.17-grml/linux-source-2.6.17-grml_grml.06_all.deb
http://dufo.tugraz.at/~prokop/grml-kernel/2.6.17-patches/
http://dufo.tugraz.at/~prokop/grml-kernel/2.6.17-info/all-in-one-2.6.17-grml-6