[Grml] Re: grml and vmware

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 12:24:57 CEST 2006

[original question with latest update]

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:58:30 +0200, T wrote:

> Anybody has successfully installed vmware under grml hd installation?
>
> I bumped into the following 2 problems:
>
> - vmware-install.pl asks for the rc?.d directories:
>
> What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to
> rc6.d/)?
>
> - vmware-config.pl asks for kernel header files
>
> The 2nd is the one that stops me.
>
> I have linux-kernel-headers-grml installed, but that alone did not work.
> So I went ahead and installed linux-headers-2.6.16-2
> linux-headers-2.6.16-2-686, but I was stopped ...

Ok, I now know that I should use runme.pl from the
vmware-any-any-update101 instead of the vmware-config.pl.
But using it still brings me back to the same problem:

% ./runme.pl
Updating /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl ... now patched
Updating /usr/bin/vmware ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/bin/vmnet-bridge ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx ... No patch needed/available
VMware modules in "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source" has been updated.

Before running VMware for the first time after update, you need to configure it
for your running kernel by invoking the following command:
"/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this script to invoke the command for
you now? [yes]

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16-2-686) does not match your
running kernel (version 2.6.16-grml).  Even if the module were to compile
successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

It went back to ask me for kernel header files.

Please help

PS.

- I've also installed linux-source-2.6.16, is it really necessary?
- my vmware is VMware Workstation v5.5.1.19175

thanks