[Grml] fluxbox auto raise

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Sun Jul 16 00:19:14 CEST 2006

Incoming from T:
> [redirected from gmane.linux.debian.user, because I now think that this
> might be a grml specific question]

Nope.

> > > Upgraded from Debian stable into testing, I notice one most important
> > > feature missing from fluxbox -- the SloppyFocus mode. Ie, the mode of
> > > traditional X behaviour -- auto raise the window when the mouse stay
> > > on a window for a while.
> > >
> > > Anybody else misses the feature? what's the workaround?

It's still there.  I think when you turn off "Click to raise" then you
can enable auto-raise.

> This is what I tried:
>
> create a new user. In its home directory, there are no .x* .X* files, nor
> the .fluxbox directory.
>
> echo exec fluxbox > ~/.xsession
>
> then startx.
>
> Ie, in above X/fluxbox setting, everything is taken from system. However,
> having choosing Configuration > Focus Model > Auto Raise, I still can't
> get the auto raise feature. So I think that this issue is related to how
> grml configure X/fluxbox by default.
>
> Please help. I can't do without the auto raise feature.

Well, that's overstating it a bit.  CTRL-Left (or is it ALT-Left?)
goes to the next workspace or window.  Sorry if this is a little
confused; I went back to Blackbox and now use bbkeys for that feature.

Try this:

   mkdir ~/.config
   mkdir ~/.config/fluxbox
   mkdir ~/.config/fluxbox/styles
   cp /etc/X11/fluxbox/fluxbox-menu ~/.config/fluxbox/menu
   cp /usr/share/fluxbox/styles ~/.config/fluxbox/styles

Find a fluxbox init file (locate fluxbox | grep -i init), copy it to
~/.config/fluxbox/init, then edit it changing paths to yours in
~/.config, edit your preferred style file, edit your menu file.

Fluxbox/blackbox are far more hand configurable and better behaved
than the monsters other distros offer.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -