[Grml] grml-0.6 kernel recompile qustion

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Feb 18 11:39:38 CET 2006

* Ishwar Rattan <ishwar at pali.cps.cmich.edu> [20060217 22:15]:

> Finally took the plunge to compile SMP kernel.
>  downloaded the vanilla linux-2.6.25 sources from ftp.kernel.org
>  downloaded the all-in-one-patch from grml.org
>  applied the patches (no failures seen)
>  compiled the kernel with the commandi (in source directory):
>  fakeroot make-kpkg clean
>  fakeroot make-kpkg -append-to-version="-smp" kernel-image modules-image
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You probably don't need this, as target kernel-image does all you
need.

>  compiles with quite few warnings (too many to list) and creates .deb file
>  installed the .deb file with dpkg -i
>  (system does boot with -smp kernel..)

Ok.

> I have a question on entries in /lib/modules/2.6.15-grml-smp
>   some directory entries that exist in /lib/modules/2.6.15-grml
>   (drivers, extra, net etc.) are not created in
>     /lib/modules/2.6.15-grml-smp (only kernel directory is cerated)

> Is it normal? Is the -smp kernel using some modules from
> /lib/modules/2.6.15-grml or did I make the kernel/modules wrong?

Yes, this is normal.
No, you can't use modules from another kernel (version).

I assume you mean the directories like acx100, bcm, ivtv,
linux-wlan-ng,... in /lib/modules/2.6.15-grml?  No, you did nothing
wrong. This are addons not brought to you by vanilla kernel.
What grml ships is documented on: http://grml.org/kernel/#modules
Take a look at module-assistant (man m-a) to build the extra
modules/packages you need.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/