[Grml] Are grml packages initially installed by aptitude

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Dec 29 10:59:19 CET 2006

* Michael Schierl <schierlm-public at gmx.de> [20061229 00:58]:
> Michael Prokop schrieb:
> > * T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20061228 00:15]:

> >> The reason that I'm asking is that after 'aptitude purge evms',
> >> I found the libevms-2.5 is still in the system.

> > Run 'deborphan' to remove unnecessary packages from your system.

> I guess the point "T" wants to make is that aptitude tracks which
> packages have been installed manually and which have been installed
> automatically (i. e. to fulfill dependencies). Automatically installed
> packages will be uninstalled as soon as they are no longer needed.

I'm aware of the fact. :)

> You can change this flag manually if you want to: Usually I select
> the "libs" category in aptitude and press "M" to mark all packages
> in it as autoMatically installed. I don't know how this can be
> done (for the whole category) on the command line.

Ah, thanks for the hint. (I usually don't use the graphical
interface of aptitude but only the cmdline version.)

> > Use deborphan and debfoster to clean up your system if that's what
> > you want to do.

> I did not use deborphan since Debian Woody, since aptitude does the job
> as well for me.

aptitude is a good choice, yes. But at the time when I started to
work on grml aptitude had some annoying issues and nowadays aptitude
is just too time consuming for some of my tasks. That's why I often
still use apt-get. ;)