[Grml] Are grml packages initially installed by aptitude

Michael Schierl schierlm-public at gmx.de
Fri Dec 29 00:58:40 CET 2006

Michael Prokop schrieb:
> * T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20061228 00:15]:
>
>> I'm just wondering, are grml packages initially installed by aptitude?
>
> No.
>
>> The reason that I'm asking is that after 'aptitude purge evms',
>> I found the libevms-2.5 is still in the system.
>
> Run 'deborphan' to remove unnecessary packages from your system.

I guess the point "T" wants to make is that aptitude tracks which
packages have been installed manually and which have been installed
automatically (i. e. to fulfill dependencies). Automatically installed
packages will be uninstalled as soon as they are no longer needed. You
can change this flag manually if you want to: Usually I select the
"libs" category in aptitude and press "M" to mark all packages in it as
autoMatically installed. I don't know how this can be done (for the
whole category) on the command line.

> Use deborphan and debfoster to clean up your system if that's what
> you want to do.

I did not use deborphan since Debian Woody, since aptitude does the job
as well for me.

Michael