[Grml] grml netcardconfig

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 20:05:51 CEST 2006

* Jan-Pieter Jacobs <janpieter.jacobs at gmail.com> [20060830 18:15]:
> * Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> [060830 17:14]:
> > * Jan-Pieter Jacobs <janpieter.jacobs at gmail.com> [20060828 17:15]:

> This is more or less the problem:

> > > Now if I configure eth1 with the netcardconfig, networking doesn't
> > > work any longer.

> So the eth0 link (configured by dhcp works, but when eth1 (static,
> configured with netcardconfig) comes up , eth0 stops working. This
> Isn't what it is supposed to do I think.

Oh, than it's a bug, yes. :)

> > But maybe I can find a solution for your problem for netcardconfig
> > anyway.

> The problem has already been solved by commenting out the 'network' and
> 'broadcast' line.
   ^^^^^^^^^
   I assume you mean gateway here.

Are you sure the network line causes any problems if it's present?

> > What do you exactly expect from netcardconfig? You want to
> > be able to get something like:

> > iface eth1 inet static
> >   address 192.168.9.253
> >   netmask 255.255.255.0
> >   broadcast 192.168.0.255
> >   nameserver 195.58.160.194

> > instead of:

> > iface eth1 inet static
> >   address 192.168.9.253
> >   netmask 255.255.255.0
> >   network 192.168.9.0
> >   broadcast 192.168.0.255
> >   gateway 192.168.9.1
> >   nameserver 195.58.160.194

> > ?

> Exactly, i think this solves the problem (I've suspect the gateway
> thing to 'steal' the acces to eth0)

Ok. I'll check and make sure that providing empty values for network
and gateway is possible by netcardconfig.

> > > BTW i've written a little script to enable routing with iptables, if
> > > you want it, drop me a note.

> > If it might be useful for grml - for sure, just mail it to me.

> It's on its way!

Already got it, thanks! Looks promising, I'll check it out in detail
with other grml-devs and integrate it in grml-scripts.