[Grml] RE: JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller ### fw to grml at mur.at

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 18:03:36 CEST 2006

* Felix Resch <f_resch at rosenberger.de> [20060829 11:15]:
> >>* Felix <f_resch at rosenberger.de> [20060821 09:15]:

> >> i just bought new Hardware (asus p5b deluxe and a core2)
> >> and ran into probs when booting grml 0.8 (and gentoo 2006.0)
> >> from a (parallel attached) cdrom drive.

> >> when booting the kernel it doesent seem to find any install sources
> >> (namely it cant detect the cdrom drive) and so drops me to the busybox
> >> shell.

> >Do you have any further news which could help me in investigating
> >the problem?

> I worked around and installed gentoo via pxe :)
> The installation worked with 2.6.17-r5 and the kernels sata ahci driver
> recognizing all sata hds.
> Afterwards i?ve tried booting gentoo 2.6.17-r5 and -r6 and vanilla
> 2.6.18-rc4 ; neither could get
> the controller to function properly.

Ok.

> The JMicron controllers seem to be detected by the system, but not the
> attached drives...
> In the Bios you may set IDE or AHCI mode to either the SATA and the "PATA"
> controller but for me
> this makes no difference.

> root at wood ~ # lshw -C storage
>   *-ide
>        product: JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller
>        vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
>        physical id: 0
>        bus info: pci at 03:00.0
>        version: 02
>        width: 32 bits
>        clock: 33MHz
>        capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list
>        configuration: driver=ahci
>        resources: ioport:bc00-bc07 ioport:b880-b883 ioport:b800-b807
> ioport:b480-b483 ioport:b400-b40f
> 	iomemory:fe9fe000-fe9fffff irq:16
>  *-storage
>        product: 82801HB (ICH8) SATA AHCI Controller
>        vendor: Intel Corporation
>        physical id: 1f.2
>        bus info: pci at 00:1f.2
>        version: 02
>        width: 32 bits
>        clock: 66MHz
>        capabilities: storage ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
>        configuration: driver=ahci
>        resources: ioport:ec00-ec07 ioport:e880-e883 ioport:e800-e807
> ioport:e480-e483 ioport:e400-e41f
> 	iomemory:febff800-febfffff irq:18

> I found some posts concerning the problem with the ide controller.
> Afik it boils down to the "stupid error" alan cox made, and that the patches
> will be in 2.6.18 final.
> see
> http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25196&sid=dd496b66a9b801cd397e3
> 36e44dea772
> and
> http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24885&forum=12&
> post_id=105517
> and http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0608.2/0688.html
> some technical information http://www.gatago.com/linux/kernel/14665031.html

Thanks for your investigations, Felix!

I just received a mail from another user having same problems with
"Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Bios ver. F2 with southbridge Intel ICH8R and
a JMicron 363". I'm looking forward that kernel >=2.6.18 will fix
the issues.

> @mika:
> I suppose the "internal server error" has been fixed, since the page looks
> to work fine from here.

The downtimes of the server should have an end now as I'm back
again. :)

> I hope you excuse me writing in english towards the benefit for people that
> dont speak german.

Writing in english is definitely welcome on the list, as many users
don't speak german at all. (And as I'm writing denglisch [you know -
the german (:=Deutsch) englisch] on my own I also understand it if
someone wants to speaks it as well. ;))