[Grml] RE: JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller ### fw to grml at mur.at

Felix Resch f_resch at rosenberger.de
Tue Aug 29 10:59:50 CEST 2006

>>* Felix <f_resch at rosenberger.de> [20060821 09:15]:
>>
>> i just bought new Hardware (asus p5b deluxe and a core2)
>> and ran into probs when booting grml 0.8 (and gentoo 2006.0)
>> from a (parallel attached) cdrom drive.
>>
>> when booting the kernel it doesent seem to find any install sources
>> (namely it cant detect the cdrom drive) and so drops me to the busybox
shell.
[...]
>Do you have any further news which could help me in investigating
>the problem?
>
>regards,
>-mika-

Hi,

I worked around and installed gentoo via pxe :)
The installation worked with 2.6.17-r5 and the kernels sata ahci driver
recognizing all sata hds.
Afterwards i?ve tried booting gentoo 2.6.17-r5 and -r6 and vanilla
2.6.18-rc4 ; neither could get
the controller to function properly.

The JMicron controllers seem to be detected by the system, but not the
attached drives...
In the Bios you may set IDE or AHCI mode to either the SATA and the "PATA"
controller but for me
this makes no difference.

root at wood ~ # lshw -C storage
  *-ide
       product: JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller
       vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci at 03:00.0
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=ahci
       resources: ioport:bc00-bc07 ioport:b880-b883 ioport:b800-b807
ioport:b480-b483 ioport:b400-b40f
	iomemory:fe9fe000-fe9fffff irq:16
 *-storage
       product: 82801HB (ICH8) SATA AHCI Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 1f.2
       bus info: pci at 00:1f.2
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: storage ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=ahci
       resources: ioport:ec00-ec07 ioport:e880-e883 ioport:e800-e807
ioport:e480-e483 ioport:e400-e41f
	iomemory:febff800-febfffff irq:18

I found some posts concerning the problem with the ide controller.
Afik it boils down to the "stupid error" alan cox made, and that the patches
will be in 2.6.18 final.
see
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25196&sid=dd496b66a9b801cd397e3
36e44dea772
and
http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24885&forum=12&
post_id=105517
and http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0608.2/0688.html
some technical information http://www.gatago.com/linux/kernel/14665031.html

@mika:
I suppose the "internal server error" has been fixed, since the page looks
to work fine from here.
I hope you excuse me writing in english towards the benefit for people that
dont speak german.

thanks for your interest
Felix