[Grml] grml netcardconfig

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 16:29:02 CEST 2006

* Jan-Pieter Jacobs <janpieter.jacobs at gmail.com> [20060828 17:15]:

> Hi, I found something annoying (dunno if it is intended or not, but it
> doesn't work for m at least.
> I've got 2 NIC's and I use this box to forward internet to
> another one/whole network.
> I use eth0 as internet connection, eth1 witþ a static IP and dnsmasq
> as DNS/DHCP server.
> Now if I configure eth1 with the netcardconfig, networking doesn't
> work any longer. now I found in the home-router-howto at gentoo that
> the network and gateway option aren't used, so that solved the
> problem. Maybe this is intentional, or the script should make a
> difference between an interface which 'receives' internet or one that
> forwards it.

grml-network (and therefore netcardconfig too) is meant for simple
and basic setup of networking. For special setups like yours (which
isn't just a simple client anymore) you should configure
/etc/network/interfaces on your own. Take a look at
/etc/network/interfaces.examples for some usual configuration
examples.

But maybe I can find a solution for your problem for netcardconfig
anyway. What do you exactly expect from netcardconfig? You want to
be able to get something like:

iface eth1 inet static
  address 192.168.9.253
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  broadcast 192.168.0.255
  nameserver 195.58.160.194

instead of:

iface eth1 inet static
  address 192.168.9.253
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  network 192.168.9.0
  broadcast 192.168.0.255
  gateway 192.168.9.1
  nameserver 195.58.160.194

?

> BTW i've written a little script to enable routing with iptables, if
> you want it, drop me a note.

If it might be useful for grml - for sure, just mail it to me.