[Grml] time zone again

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 15:28:06 CEST 2006

* Martin Yazdzik <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20060829 17:15]:

> I dare not, however, boot out of old grml into new, because new grml is
> convinced that my hw clock is set to gmt.  Since this is a laptop,  I need to
> boot into new grml and tell it that my clock is in NYC, edt, my laptop is,
> sadly, in NYC, edt, and there is only one time I need to know today, which is
> the time in NYC.

> tz config sets the time to six hours earlier, because it is sure that I must
> be wrong.  I am not.  I know where I am.

> I have disabled all the time stuff in autoconfig.

> There is not point even trying to set up evolution and so on until every app
> takes its time settings from the system clock, which should take its settings
> from the cmos clock, which, because we all have to boot into windows once a
> year, is set to local time.

Did you configure /etc/localtime?

By default it's set to /usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/CET, run:

  ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/$WHATEVER_YOU_WANT /etc/localtime

to set it according to your needs. If this does not yet fix you
problem please show output of the following commands:

grep hwclock /etc/runlevel.conf
grep '^UTC' /etc/default/rc
cat /etc/timezone

> Please find a simple solution to this.

grml itself does nothing else than the stuff behind CONFIG_TIMEZONE
[that's config_timezone() in /etc/grml/autoconfig.functions] and is
executed in live-cd mode only.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/