[Grml] time zone again

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Thu Aug 24 16:34:07 CEST 2006

Dear Mika and Friends,

Okay, as you read in the other thread, I now have fglrx with working 3d hw
accel.

I dare not, however, boot out of old grml into new, because new grml is
convinced that my hw clock is set to gmt.  Since this is a laptop,  I need to
boot into new grml and tell it that my clock is in NYC, edt, my laptop is,
sadly, in NYC, edt, and there is only one time I need to know today, which is
the time in NYC.

tz config sets the time to six hours earlier, because it is sure that I must
be wrong.  I am not.  I know where I am.

I have disabled all the time stuff in autoconfig.

There is not point even trying to set up evolution and so on until every app
takes its time settings from the system clock, which should take its settings
from the cmos clock, which, because we all have to boot into windows once a
year, is set to local time.

Please find a simple solution to this.

Best,
"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between those
who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them
 merely as raw material for some scheme." --Russell