[Grml] ndiswrapper solved

Peter G. peter at nephros.org
Wed Aug 16 00:54:11 CEST 2006

Martin Yazdzik <yazdzik at nyct.net> wrote:

> bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out
> of /mnt/sda1/DRIVERS/NETWORK/ADDON/BCMWL5.SYS
>
>  filename :  bcmwl5.sys
>  version  :  3.100.35.0
>  MD5      :  c3ab2d6954c7b5103770832a3a6a591b
>
> extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
> extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
> extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
> *****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".

fw-cutter keeps complaining about bcm43xx_microcode11.fw here too, and I
have tried about seven different .sys files, always the same
warning/error.

However, it appears the kernel module only needs the
bcm43xx_microcode5.fw to be available, in any case that is what I
provide in /lib/firmware and the driver is loading and working well.

That is for an
04:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

So maybe its worth to try out the firmware files fwcutter *can* extract,
depite the error.

Good Luck,
   Peter

--
"I do not think the way you think I think."
     -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G